Pierre Maspero’s Oyster Po’Boy with Spinach and Artichoke
Oyster Po’boy with Spinach and Artichoke
For the oysters:
- 8- 9 shucked oysters per 8 inch po-boy “depending on how big they are and how overstuffed you like your sandwiches,” the chef adds.
- Egg wash (made of 1 egg and enough milk to thin to pouring consistency)
- Dip the oysters in the egg wash mixture, then roll into Zatarain's Shrimp Fry, Seasoning, 1-Ounce (Pack of 12) , or any seasoned breadcrumb mixture, just enough to coat (I like to add cornmeal to Shrimp Fry).
- Fry in vegetable oil for about 2 minutes, until brown. Drain on a paper towel.
For the spinach mixture:
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning mix (the restaurant uses Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning 8 oz )
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saute pan, then add the spinach.
- Add the season blend and red pepper flakes to taste.
- When the spinach starts to wilt, add the heavy cream and the artichoke hearts. Cook over medium heat until the cream reduces and thickens.
For the Thai Aioli:
- 1/4 cup Thai chili sauce
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
Spread the spinach mixture onto toasted po-boy bread, top with the fried oysters, drizzle with the Thai aioli to taste and top with bleu cheese crumbles.