The Joy of Baking- Part 2 (a Great Almond Pound Cake Recipe)
Almond Pound Cake
8 ounces Almond Paste* (available at specialty food stores and upscale grocers)
6 ounces granulated sugar
11 ounces unsalted butter
6 eggs, at room temperature
14 ounces of all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cups whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 egg whites
6 ounces of granulated sugar
1. Prepare layer pans with by brushing butter on the bottom of pans and covering with parchment rounds. Prepare tube pans by brushing with melted butter, and coating with flour or finely ground almonds.
2. Combine the almond paste and the first 6 ounces of sugar in a stand mixing bowl. Beat until lump free, then add the softened butter, and beat until light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs one or two at a time, mixing after each addition.
4. Stir the baking powder and salt into the flour. Add the flour to the Almond Paste mixture alternating with the milk, then add the vanilla.
5. Put the batter into a separate large mixing bowl, clean the stand mixer bowl, and place the 4 egg whites in it. Whip the egg whites until foamy, then add the remaining 6 ounces of sugar gradually, and whip to stiff peaks. Fold the egg whites into the cake batter one third at a time.
6. Divide the cake batter between the pans, and bake at 375 dergrees for @ 25 minutes for layers, and 35 minutes for the tube pans. The cake should spring back when the top is pressed lightly. Let the cakes cool slightly in the pans, then unmold onto a cake rack to cool completely.
BTW, if you are layering the cake, here’s where you can find the recipe for the Apricot Puree I used.