So Long Ray Nagin
Unfortunately, the LA2LA Chef was unable to make it to Jazz Fest this spring. It's been interesting to gauge the ups and downs of the city's moods in the years since Katrina hit. I would have been especially glad to take the temp of the city now that Ray Nagin will soon be gone, and Mitch Landrieu takes over next week as Mayor. But, I will just have to amuse myself with a trip down memory lane, courtesy of the Times Picayune, (always happy to show da' mayor in an entertaining light) with a list of his most memorable quotes. Be sure to check out #12 on the list.
- This city will be chocolate at the end of the day. (MLK Day 2006 speech)
- It's time for us to rebuild a New Orleans … The one that should be a chocolate New Orleans..(MLK Day 2006 speech)
- This city will be a majority African-American city … It's the way God wants it to be.(MLK Day 2006 speech)
- Surely God is mad at America … He's sending hurricane after hurricane after hurricane.
- It's me. It's Ray Nagin.
- Now get off your asses and let's do something, and let's fix the biggest goddamn crisis in the history of this country. (Katrina aftermath)
- Excuse my French, everybody in America, but I am pissed. (Katrina aftermath)
- The city of New Orleans will never be the same.
- I have been bustin' my butt.
- And it just pisses me off. And that's why I'm saying, if he wants to leave, God bless him, let him leave. We need a new owner. They can't take our logo, they can't take our name. Now let's go for the Cleveland deal. (About talk of Tom Benson moving the Saints to a new city)
- It is what it is.
- So I stand before you a vagina-friendly mayor. I am in. (Spoken at the performance of the Vagina Monologues)
- The election is over. If you supported someone else, get over it.
- I am coming back to this station and me and your news director are gonna be outside in the parking lot having a good one on one. (About his personal schedule being released by a local TV station)
- If somebody approach me wrong, I'm just gonna cold-cock 'em. (About his personal schedule being released by a local TV station)
- You can come with that foolishness if you want, but you're gonna see a side of Ray Nagin you hadn't seen. (About his personal schedule being released by a local TV station)
- This is ridiculous.
- I am sick of this.
- If you go look at some of these blogs out there and some of the stories that come from the paper and you read the comments … it's the most vile, angry people that I've ever seen.
- This is just crazy.
- That's crazy
- You gotta be kidding me. This is a national disaster. Get every doggone Greyhound bus line in the country and get their asses moving to New Orleans. (Katrina aftermath)
- Absolutely. Absolutely.
And Good Luck, Mitch!